It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

What is the best way to pre-order Hero-U?

What is the best way to pre-order Hero-U?

Postby Slag » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi there!

Long time fan of QfG, first time poster

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask to this, I didn't see an email listed or sub-forum on the site for these kinds of questions.

Anyway, so I didn't participate in the Kickstarter campaigns but now I'm sold on the project (non-backer's remorse?) and would like to pre-order the game to support you guys.

On your site there seems to be two methods/places to do so

here using Stripe
https://hero-u-adventure-role-playing-g ... _preorders

and here using Paypal or Amazon through Humble
http://hero-u.com/collectibles/pre-orders/

Is there any practical difference to using either one?
Is one service more beneficial to the dev team than the other? Or to me as the player?

Thank you for your time and am looking forward to the game!
Slag

Re: What is the best way to pre-order Hero-U?

Postby Slag » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Also in light of Steam's recent's changes to their review system
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2812 ... _abuse.php
which is going to prevent many legitimate players from praising a game if they enjoy it, I guess I could purchase it directly from Steam if that helps you guys the most.
Slag

Postby Bashar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:51 am

Hi Slag. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but I've passed your question along to Corey directly so you should get a response from him shortly.

Aside, that article you linked was an interesting read. If Valve has the ability to detect fraudulent reviews, I think it would make more sense to have a metric in place that would ignore key-purchaser reviews for games where that abuse is discovered. Making a blanket call for all games seems a bit excessive.

I can say that I'm sure the Coles would rather you pre-ordered from either Backerkit or the PayPal store. The reason being that one of the main points of selling directly was the opportunity to connect with fans. I wouldn't let Steam reviews impact your decision. When Hero-U was up for Steam Greenlighting, it was approved in almost record time, so there's already a strong swell of support in the Steam community.

In the event that you get impatient and absolutely /must/ pre-order now for whatever reason, I'm going to lean Backerkit. The reason being that it is newer, picked up during the second kickstarter campaign. The PayPal store hearkens back to the first campaign, when the Coles were using HumbleBundle as their digital distribution platform. But I really can't speak as to the Cole's preference if they have one.
Bashar

Postby Slag » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi Bashar,

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm in no hurry, I can wait to hear the answer. I was leaning towards the backerkit myself (since I'm not crazy about some of Paypal's policies for sellers based on personal experience) and then I figured I might as well ask instead of assuming what is preferred.

Whatever the answer is, I won't forget to buy this. Quest For Glory series was among my very favorite franchises growing up. One of my buddies installed the So You Want to be A Hero VGA remake on some of the PCs in the school's computer lab, it provided much needed sanity breaks from Calculus homework and other such subjects. So I've got a lot of sentimental interest in this new project. :)

The reason I mentioned the Steam thing is that it seems this recent Valve action seems unfairly punitive to indie Devs as a whole and could change the math on where the best place is to sell keys. I know several established indie houses like Wadjet Eye games were pretty upset about the sudden change as they lost a ton of legitimate positive reviews, since their most passionate fans often buy directly through their website (probably trying to give the devs a bigger cut of the sale). I'm sure Valve doesn't care though, I doubt they want to make it easier to buy games off their service.

I'm sure Valve takes a hefty cut of the proceeds if purchased through Steam, but I could also see how having positive reviews (assuming I like Hero-U, given their history I bet I will) on PC's gaming de facto platform might be more important in the long run if it helps move a large number of copies. I imagine there's a tipping point where one channel is preferable to the other. What that is, I can't say.

I doubt that's the option I would prefer in their shoes, but it occurred to me it might be so threw it out there.
Slag

Postby Slag » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't wish to be a bother as I'm sure you all have a lot more important things to do, but has there been any official word which is the preferred option?

Backerkit or Humble?

I didn't see anything definitive in the kickstarter update (although it did seem to hint that Backerkit may be preferred like Bashar surmised) or recent forum posts...
Slag

Postby Bashar » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:22 am

Sorry you haven't gotten a reply to your question Slag. I've been here since the beginning and I've never seen Corey this distanced from the forum. I'm guessing that crunch time has set in over at Transolar as they prepare to release the beta version.

I have both a humble and backerkit account, since I pledged to both campaigns. I'm not sure if this will impact your decision but but one difference between the two is that my humble account gives me access to the playable demos while backerkit only gives me some wallpapers. Backerkit has a built in survey, though, which might make it easier for the Coles to (pun alert!) collate your information. So if their convenience remains your top priority, I still think backerkit would be the more likely choice.
Bashar

Postby Slag » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:30 pm

That definitely helps Bashar!

Although I guess I don't know how a survey is useful if I don't have access to the Beta? So I guess I'm kinda back to square one there. I guess it depends on the content of the survey. But it is pretty helpful to know that the contents of both packages do differ.

and yeah I figure they are super busy and I almost didn't ask this a month ago because I'm not anxious to make their lives any more complicated, but I figured if I had this question others might too.
Slag

Postby Bashar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:35 pm

I just checked and the demos are available on the Hero-U website, so it's not really a big deal their being hosted on humble. You can find them here: http://hero-u.com/demos-and-videos/

It's been a year since I filled mine out but the survey was more about pledge fulfillment. e.g. what address you want physical items shipped, do you want the hat or the keychain, how do you want your name listed in the credits, questions of that nature. I don't know how much those apply to the pledge tiers available on the website.
Bashar

Postby Corey » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:52 pm

BackerKit is the preferred way to preorder Hero-U. I have to manually create a BackerKit account for orders through Humble. I thought the link to the pages with the Humble Widget had been disabled, but in any case I check it every couple of months to make sure BackerKit and the progress report email list are up to date.
Corey

Postby Slag » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Thank you very much for the response Corey!

I'd like to apologize for extremely tardy reply, I've had one heck of a tumultuous life changing last 24 months for me and my family. So while I didn't forget to do what I promised, I was unusually preoccupied in a manner that kept me from doing so when I thought I would. I went and did the Backerkit way since that is your preference. Really appreciate you letting me know. It puts my mind at ease, that I didn't create an additional inconvenience.

Just wanted to say to thanks you, it's an honor and a pleasure to be contributing. I know game development can be an incredibly uncertain and difficult task, but I can't think of anybody I'd rather donate to you two. The Quest For Glory games were very impactful on me and my friends growing up. We had access to a library computer at our school that had them on there and we would find ways to make sure we claimed dibs on the PC during our free periods so we could try to solve the game.

Good luck with the project and thanks again!

-Slag
Slag

Postby Gsain123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 am

Thanks for info.
Gsain123

Return to Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption