It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

How to Market Hero-U

How to Market Hero-U

Postby Silver » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I want to see this game succeed but I see not much word of mouth. With that in mind I saw this article on game marketing. I recommend the Hero-U team to give it a read.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... me-in-2017
Silver

Re: How to Market Hero-U

Postby unleasher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting and I think they make some good points which I hope that our team takes to heart.
unleasher

Postby Paviel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:54 pm

There is something to be said for not hyping a game too soon before it's published. On the other hand, once we're in alpha, I'm sure people will have a lot more to say about it.
Paviel

Postby Bashar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 am

I never really associated much hype to Hero-U. I think Quest for Glory is kind of a cult classic now. Most people I know, even among roleplayers, have never heard of the series and that number drops to practically zero for those under 30. However, the people who /are/ familiar with it tend to be big fans. So I think the challenge here is building awareness more than managing hype.

It doesn't help that what the Coles are trying to achieve with Hero-U is really subtle. This is not an easy game to explain because it's a mash-up of several different genres. In addition to adventure games and RPGs, you have elements from puzzle and life simulation games.

In my opinion, the best strategy for Hero-U will be the slow burn. Don't focus on a launch blitz but let buzz generate over time. Keep the price stable and don't offer more than a 25% discount for at least three years. That shows the Coles' confidence in their product and people who are interested in the premise of Hero-U and hear good things through word of mouth will eventually cave in and buy it at or near list price.
Bashar

Postby Paviel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

The game has to sell well enough for the Coles to pay the mortgages that they took out to finance the game, and I think selling that well would make it more than just a cult classic.
Paviel

Return to Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption